- We remember: Every day, many of the men and women of the armed forces return to their families and their civilian lives. But not every one will have that chance, and the families left behind are forever changed. Snowball Express remembers those fallen heroes who will never return, and honors the supreme sacrifice their families have made. Snowball Express serves the children who will never be reunited with their mom or dad.
- We honor: Since 2006, the mission of Snowball Express has been a simple, yet profoundly important one: Provide hope and new happy memories to the children of military fallen heroes who have died while on active duty since 9/11. We bring children together from all over the world for a four-day experience filled with fun activities, like sporting events, dances, amusement parks and more. Parents of children of the fallen often tell us that their child is reserved, withdrawn or unwilling to talk about their loss. Participating in Snowball Express changes that, making each child feel special and giving them an opportunity to share their feelings about losing something so precious, their parent.
- We care: Using a volunteer team, Snowball Express creates a weekend of events to connect the children and surviving spouses of the fallen with others going through the same experience. The children who attend our annual event walk away knowing they are not alone, and that we honor the sacrifice their parent made while serving our country. Children often return year after year to reunite with the friends they have made through Snowball Express.
Shelter To Soldier:
3143 4th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92103
San Diego, CA 92103
- Organization that rescues shelter dogs and trains them to be psychiatric service companions for wounded combat veterans.
- Every 63 minutes, a US Veteran commits suicide. That is an average of 23 precious lives a day…Every 11 seconds, an animal is euthanized in our nation. It is time to step up, create change and support programs that provide services for our troops at home and those that help save our 4-legged angels with no voice.
Veterans Village of San Diego
414 Pacific Highway
San Diego, CA 921100
- Mission: VVSD assists homeless veterans who have substance abuse and/or mental health issues, including men and women who have recently returned from Iraq and Afghanistan. At the heart of VVSD's treatment plan are five pillars of success: Prevention, Intervention, Treatment, Aftercare and Employment services.
- With five locations throughout San Diego County, VVSD is the only program of its kind in the United States and is nationally recognized as the leader in serving homeless military veterans. Each year VVSD provides services to more than 2,000 military veterans throughout the County of San Diego.
Home Front San Diego:
3333 Sandrock Rd.
San Diego, CA 92123-2257
Homefront San Diego Mission Statement
- Homefront San Diego is a non-profit organization partnered with our 501(c)3 partner The Navy League of San Diego.
- Our mission is simple, we provide a hand up to the military families in their time of need.
How we began
- Homefront San Diego started shortly after 9-11 by Roger Hedgecock when he heard about the ongoing needs of our military families right here in San Diego.
- An overwhelming number of service men and women in combat zones were finding themselves distracted by concerns over the wellbeing of their families here at home.
- This problem was recognized by numerous commands and when Roger asked what he could do to help, he was told to take care of the families back at home so the soldiers could focus on their mission.
- When one is fighting a war, there cannot be distractions.
- Aiding these families is our way of saying thank you everyday to the men and women & their families who are fighting for what we Americans believe in.
What we do
- Homefront San Diego will help with everything from emergency food and gas, to car repairs, furniture, computers and whatever else a family might need.
- We do not limit our aid to a set list of services.
- If a family has a need, we will utilize all of our resources to do all we can to help.
- All of these services are available to lower enlisted military families, deployed or not.
- Everything is grant based and will never have to be repaid.
How we do it
- Homefront San Diego is able to do all that we do because of the generous support and donations from wonderful people right here in
- San Diego County and beyond.
- Homefront San Diego is run by a group of wonderful San Diegan volunteers (as well as one recent transplant to Washington ).
- Many have full-time jobs.
- Many have prior military service themselves.
- Some even make it a family effort.
- Because we are an all volunteer organization, we have no payroll and no overhead.
- Every penny of every dollar we receive goes directly towards helping a military family right here in San Diego County .
- Our volunteers eagerly give of their time to make smiles happen.
- We are able to use 100% of all donations for our families because our volunteers make use of our own computers, internet access and phone lines.
- We love what we do.
- Since our beginning nearly 10 years ago, Homefront San Diego has been able to help over 10,000 families right here in San Diego , and will continue to be here as long as our soldiers and their families need a helping hand.
- From all of the volunteers at Homefront who witness the gratitude from these young families, we are humbled everyday by your generosity and we want to say "Thank You San Diego !"